Remember when some conservatives excused the Republican spending of years ago because "the deficits would make it impossible for Dems to justify more if they ever got control?" So how did that work out for you?
Remember when a lot of conservatives said that "the conscience of the Senate," Joe Lieberman was one liberal they could support? I said then that Lieberman was scum/ So today, it looks like he's close to a sellout on health care. So how did that work out for you?
Remember when I said I didn't like it because we weren't killing enough Iraqi soldiers? War is about overwhelming force and no war we get into should last longer than a day. Yet we've just learned the "rules of engagement" in Afghanistan, and here they are:
The actual ROEs are said to be classified U.S. and NATO secrets, but based on individual soldier accounts, those restrictions include the following:
- No night or surprise searches
- Villagers are to be warned prior to searches
- Afghan National Army, or ANA, or Afghan National Police, or ANP, must accompany U.S. units on searches
- U.S. soldiers may not fire at insurgents unless they are preparing to fire first
- U.S. forces cannot engage insurgents if civilians are present
- Only women can search women
- Troops can fire on insurgents if they catch them placing an IED but not if insurgents walk away from where the explosives are.